BioMed Central is not a image collection or database; it is an online publisher of open access biology and medical journals. It is included in this directory of image sources because the figures, tables, and graphs in the journal articles are openly accessible for use. This is a source of more scientifically or medically oriented images. BioMed Central is part of the Springer Science Publishing group.
BioMed Central is an online publisher of open access biology and medical journals. All journal content is licensed under CC-BY 2.0 license. "Authors publishing with BioMed Central retain the copyright to their work, licensing it under the Creative Commons Attribution License which allows articles to be re-used and re-distributed without restriction, as long as the original work is correctly cited." (http://www.biomedcentral.com/about )
Tables and figures published in articles on BioMed Central are available for use under the same CC-BY 2.0 license as the journal articles. No written permission is needed but the figures or tables must be accompanied by a full attribution statement. In this case the attribution statement or citation would be a combination of a Creative Commons attribution and a traditional journal article citation. For a sample citation see the example section.
Searching, Downloading, & Embedding
- To access the advanced search options on BioMed Central, users have to be logged in. UBC Library has a subscription agreement with BioMed Central; so instead of users creating individual accounts accessing BioMed Central from a UBC computer, or through the Library website when off campus, will automatically log users into the UBC Library account.
- BioMed Central does not have a specific image search, but users can do keyword search in just figure captions by selecting "Text: Figure Legends" in the drop down menu beside the advanced search box.
- Click on the figure thumbnail to see a larger version of the image with the full caption.
- Click the image again to display the image in full resolution.
- Right click image and select "Save Image As."
- If users click "Download author's original image" the image will download in PDF format, rather than JPG.
Embedding not available.
Notes / Caution
- The example image caption uses a short citation example that would be accompanied by a full image citation in a list of image sources. The full reference would be as follows: