Flickr is an online repository for personal photos and images. It is a complete mixed bag of subjects from some open access scholarly figures to family photos from the last road trip. Flickr is a a website for sharing photos with friends and the wider world, as well as a way to backup and organize photos. All content on Flickr is uploaded and organized by users.
All users uploading photos to Flicker agree to the statement that they have the right to post and share the photos they are uploading. Users can choose to share their photos under a variety of Creative Commons licences. Check each image you would like to use to see what permissions the owner has granted (Click on the (CC) symbol for details). Not all images designated with a CC licence have been posted by the copyright owner so use your judgment.
Searching, Downloading, & Embedding
- To find CC images only, go into the advanced search (to the right of the search button, or click here).
- Check the box (towards the bottom of the page) to search for CC content only.
- Click on the "Actions" tab and select "View All Sizes."
- Choose the size you would like to download (Original is recommended).
- Click "Download the ... size of this photo."
- Click on the "Share" tab above the image.
- Select "Grab the HTML/BBCode"
- Copy code, paste into website, wiki, or blog.
Notes / Caution
- Not all images designated with a CC licence have been posted by the copyright owner which means they have not legally been released for CC so use your judgment.